Sunday 2 April 2023

Analysis of Best Kdramas of all time. [With python code]

Analyzing the best kdramas with the help of data and ratings gathered from MyDramaList and Python Code. Hope that this is a good and enjoyable read. 

Let's Begin:

 If you are looking for direct on-to-the point answer then, according to MyDramaList website, the answer is Move to Heaven (an original Netflix series, starring Lee Je-hoon, Tang Jun_sang, and Hong Seung-hee) with a massive rating of 9.2 out of 10. 

pic: Move to Heaven

But if you're here for a little bit of in-depth analysis then you've come to the right place. As a kdrama fan and a data analysis enthusiast, I decided to try and merge these two different things and find something to work and spend time on. This was a fun experience for me so I wanted to share it with you guys and hope that it'd be fun for you too.

Step 1: Data Gathering 

The first step was Data Gathering which wasn't that difficult of step because of the dataset uploaded in kaggle. The dataset contained data from the top-ranked 250 Korean Dramas as per the MyDramaList website. The data had been collected and uploaded in the form of a CSV file and was allowed to be used on various Data Science Projects.

Step 2: Data Modification

 I downloaded the CSV file and opened it in MS Excel. I realized that there were alot of columns that were not required or important enough for me so I made some modifications and then uploaded it to the Google Collab file that I was going to work on. Again, thanks to the already freely available, well organized dataset I didn't have much problem.So I moved on to the next step smoothly,

Step 3: Analysis and Visualization

This is the part from which I started to use python code to analyze the data that I had in my hands and distributed in following steps:

a) Importing all the necessary libraries that were needed.

b) Ranking the best 10 kdramas (according to the ratings given in MyDramaList).


c) Use of  python statistics.


d) Best k dramas with longest duration in every episode.

which was generated by following code:

 

 From the above code and graph, we can get the idea that Hospital Playlist series has the longest time of episodes and which may sound over-whelming to some of you but trust me that it's worth it. Hospital Playlist is my personal favorite for a reason and I can always vouch for this drama.

pic: Hospital Playlist

 Based on the story of 5 doctor friends, this Korean drama has the ability to make you cry like a small baby and then make you laugh out loud like a Hyena in a matter of seconds. 

Similar to other work done by director Shin Won Ho i.e in Reply1988, Prison Playbook..., this k drama too goes on depth in every character's lifestyle and makes you fall in love with everyone from the main characters to all the minor characters.  

I honestly feel like dramas made by Shin Won Ho deserve a whole another blog in itself.

 pic: Reply 1988
        
pic: Prison Playbook

e) Display the number of K dramas(top 250) per year.


 

This maybe because of recency bias or general increase in quality of K dramas, the average ratings has increased a lot in the past few years. As you can see in the graph, almost half of the top rated K dramas of all time have been released after 2017.  And 2021 being the year which had the most number of "good" dramas.

 

Among which the one I liked the most beside Hospital Playlist 2,  is Vincenzo. Based on character of a korean boy adopted by Italian Mafia, this k drama has a good amount of crimes and comedy. 

pic: Vincenzo

f) List the best k dramas that are available in Netflix to watch.

 

The one k drama I liked most among the one's in the list is 'It's Okay to not be okay'. This drama is the kind that you’ll fall in love with and the story hits close to home. There are many scenes throughout this drama that really made me cry.

pic: its okay to not be okay 

g) Display K dramas of specific genre like

  (i)Romantic:   (ii)Comedy: Among all the k dramas that are mentioned above the other two that I definitely recommend are: 'Clash landing on you' and 'Mr. Queen'.

pic: Crash landing on you

This drama 'Crash landing on you' consist of real-life couples (Hyun-Bin and Son Ye-jin) and the love and chemistry they share can be easily visible in the drama. This drama shows a relationship blooming between people from two different Korea which makes you want to root for their happiness.

pic: Mr.Queen
 An amazing comedy drama with perfect acting by both male lead and female leads made this drama whole lot enjoyable. This character was nailed by the female lead and she made it her own.

 h) Best kdramas that are 12 or less episodes. 

i) Dramas based on particular actors


pic: Hotel Del Luna
Being one of my first k dramas, this hits very closed to my heart and I loved every moment. This is also the drama which showed me how talented IU is and made me love and appreciate her even more.

Honorable Mentions (in no particular order):

a) Itaewon Class

b) Welcome to Waikiki

c) Startup

d) Sky Castle

e) Moon Lovers

f) Hi, Bye Mama

g) Goblin

h) Search WWW

i) Our Beloved Summer

j) Weightlifting fairy Kim Bok Joo


 Conclusion:

This was a fun research and blog to share. I hope this was good read for you too. Thank you for reading this far, it means a lot to me.

If you have any point you disagree with or want to add something then don't hesitate to send a mail me on gmail: nikhilrana2076@gmail.com and if you want to see the source code for the code then you check it in my github.


 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment